[Bldg-sim] Heads Up: LEED Lighting changes

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Sep 25 08:09:24 PDT 2012

Want to share something that's news to me.

LEED-2009 projects using the most recent version of the SSc8 templates will find the allowable baseline exterior lighting figure rewritten to incorporate 90.1-2007 addendum i.  This was officially incorporated by LEED in November of 2011.  The LEED/USGBC documentation often refer to "addendum 1," but from context its clear they mean lowercase "i."

Addendum i strikes out and re-writes the allowable installed watts for exterior lighting table in chapter 9.  What this means broadly for those filling out SSc8 and EAc1 templates is the allowable watts for baseline models is now "zone-dependent" (i.e. rural vs. city, like more recent versions of 90.1/IECC), and generally much more stringent.  I don't observe any changes specific to exterior lighting controls.

If your project was registered before November of 2011 and your credit templates are current, you'll find the credit templates are not smart enough to recognize addendum i was not adopted when the project was registered.  Some have reported success appealing during submittal that the template's math doesn't represent what's required, furnishing pre-addendum i calculations in their documentation.

For those using COMcheck to assemble documentation for LEED SSc8/EAp2, I've opened a query with the developers and have learned they do not as a matter of policy intend to incorporate 90.1-2007 with addendum i into the program, making this tool unwieldy for demonstrating exterior calcs + compliance for LEED, until LEED-2013 rolls into practice.  Short of falling back to excel spreadsheets, is anyone aware of any similar tools for time-efficiently documenting 90.1-2007 compliance that handles addendum i?

Thanks!

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.