[Bldg-sim] heat pump design in Designbuilder

David Cocking dave at arrow-energy-solutions.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 04:15:08 PDT 2012

Apeksha,

Apologies for my earlier email (an early-morning response J)...I've just
realised I've been using the UK compliance version of DesignBuilder for the
last week so my response was based on the SBEM analysis interface not
EnergyPlus.

To approximately model a heat pump using Simple HVAC in DesignBuilder using
EnergyPlus as the calculation engine (the limitations of simple HVAC are
discussed in the help file and tutorial):

1.       Set the closest HVAC template for the system type (under floor
heating system, radiators with natvent etc).

2.       Set the auxiliary energy (or in the absence of accurate data use
the NCM auxiliary energy setting in model options to use the default NCM
value).

3.       Set the heating fuel type (presumably grid electricity) and the
heating system CoP to an appropriate value.

4.       Change the radiant details under the 'Type' header if necessary.

5.       Modify other details on the HVAC tab as required (mechanical
ventilation, cooling, natvent etc).

I hope that helps and apologies again for any earlier confusion,

Dave

David Cocking MSc CEng MCIBSE MEI

Director   I   M: 07939 353791   I   E: dave at arrow-energy-solutions.co.uk

Arrow Energy Solutions Ltd   I   1 Sundorne Avenue   I   Shrewsbury   I
SY1 4JW

T: 0870 0427264   I   F: 0870 8381398   I   www.arrow-energy-solutions.co.uk
<http://www.arrow-energy-solutions.co.uk/>

P Do you need to print this?  Be green, read on screen.

Privileged/Confidential information and/or Copyright Material may be
contained in this email. The information and material is intended for the
use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee or the person
responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee(s), you may not copy
or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so
is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this email by mistake,
please advise the sender immediately by replying to the email. Although this
email and attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defects
which might affect any computer or IT systems into which they are received,
no responsibility is accepted by Arrow Energy Solutions Ltd for any loss or
damage arising in any way from the receipt or use thereof.

Arrow Energy Solutions Ltd Registered in England & Wales, Company
Registration No. 6402543. Standard terms and conditions apply.