[Bldg-sim] Creating a weather file

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Sep 12 09:42:02 PDT 2012

I have attempted to create a simulation-usable weather file from the raw data from
WUnderground, using the procedure that I have developed over the past 15 years working
with other sources of raw data, especially NCDC's Integrated Surface Hourly (ISH) data base.

The main problems I've encountered, besides learning how to download conveniently the raw
data for multiple year, is the absence of sky cover information that I need to extrapolate
the solar radiation using several empirical models.  I have not pursued this track, i.e.,
using WUnderground raw data, very much because I'm all set up to process ISH data, which
are records from 8,000 official meteorological stations around the world, which have met
my needs in almost all cases.  For example, for locations around Caracas, the ISH also
contains good data for Valencia, as well as Maracay-Ba-Sucr and Pto-Cabello.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D