[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1 lighting control question

Adam Barker ABarker at pemi.com
Tue Apr 2 08:05:59 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

A quick question regarding ASHRAE 90.1-2007 lighting control requirements (as I typically model buildings in Canada, and am not used to referencing ASHRAE 90.1).

Appendix G references section 9.4.1 for control, which states that automatic controls (e.g. occupancy sensors) are required in certain classrooms, conference/meeting rooms and lunch/break rooms.  Does this mean that I will need to model the appropriate LPD reduction factor per Table G3.2  in these spaces in the reference building, as well as the proposed model (if they are installed)? I.e., no credit given?  90.1-2010 seems to expand on this, identifying occupant sensors specifically, and adding restrooms, small offices, lockers rooms and some storage room.

Do I have this right?

Thanks,

Adam Barker, C.E.T., LEED AP BD+C
Sustainability Project Manager