[Bldg-sim] Definition of a University Dormitory - Residential or Non-Residential?

Dónal O'Connor oconnor_dj at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:05:56 PDT 2013

Dear Bldg Sim,

I'm looking for guidance on the definition of a University Dormitory building that I'm modeling under LEED 2009, particularly referencing Table G3.1.1A Baseline HVAC System Types. The building has 9 storeys above grade with an underground basement, with a total floor area of approx. 125,000 sq. ft.

The Basement is primarily crawlspace, electrical, mechanical, student storage etc.

The Main Floor consists of a number of multi-purpose rooms, further storage facilities for bicycles, recycling etc, with 1/3 of the main floor plan dedicated to student residences.

The remaining floors, 2 - 9, are student residences with a number of break out/study rooms/lounge areas on each floor.

Is the building classified as "Residential", or is it considered "Nonresidential and More than 5 floors or > 150,000 sq. ft" due to the basement and main floor spaces not being "Residential"? Will I have to model the basement and the main floor separate from floors 2-9?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dónal