[Bldg-sim] Insulate the roof in summer without HVAC system yes or no?

David GARCIA-SANCHEZ dgarciasanchez at greenaffair.com
Fri Apr 19 02:32:39 PDT 2013

Hi all

I have a project where I need to model a maintenance hangar,

In this project we are evaluating the relevance of insulate the roof to
improve the comfort level in summer. The hangar has no air conditioned
system but we use natural ventilation which seems to work well in our
model (we use IES VE).

The problem came when we try to put some insulating material to the
actual roof (which is composed of only metal sheet of 2 cms). Unlike one
might expect the temperature in the hangar increases, as the roof
temperature.

This is to some extent logic, and I know it depends of the insulate type
and thickness. But we agree (I think) that at least one insulation with
les of 2cm to the actual roof should give an improvement in at least
roof or air temperature. I know that insulation can serve as a "trap" of
interior thermal conditions, so it's improve HVAC systems performance.
But also it serves to avoid the external conditions gets-in.

I have tried several configurations without success, internal, external
insulation.

And maybe some of you have already some experience in model this kind of
configuration. We agree (I think) that I can't recommend to my architect
that he shouldn't insulate its roof, but also I want to explain the
pertinence of this with a dynamic thermal modeling.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this,

David Garcia

David GARCIA-SANCHEZ

greenaffair

Tel. +33 (0)1 46 03 08 02

Mobile +33 (0)6 78 15 08 09

102 avenue Edouard Vaillant - 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt

www.greenaffair.com <http://www.greenaffair.com/>