[Bldg-sim] published modeling costs

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Sun Aug 4 09:34:04 PDT 2013

Dear Ellen,
I'll bet that costs are a moving target as modelers become more experienced, software improves and expectations evolve.
I also think that client expectations for an energy model are often exceptionally vague.  Sometimes, it's just "Get me LEED points" with little or no concern for whether it is a good model and will be useful for, say, M&V efforts.  We always assume that the client will be able to use our models for M&V, but I doubt that's a universal attitude.  So far as we can tell, there are energy models prepared for the US EPACT tax credits which are MUCH less costly than seems possible for a detailed model - how can a client tell what they're getting unless they are very sophisticated?
Please share whatever you learn - I'm fairly sure my company is very competitive for M&V-grade models, but it's hard to know if you're either worse than average or much better!

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com<http://www.buildingperformanceteam.com/>
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653