[Bldg-sim] published modeling costs

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Sun Aug 4 12:49:35 PDT 2013

It occurs to me that there are several programs right here in California
where you are located, Philip, that struggle with this routinely.  On
the residential side, programs such as the CalRatePro supported utility
programs need to model existing buildings where drawings may be
difficult or impossible to obtain.  On the non-residential side, utility
rebate programs here in California are likely to require a model to
predict savings.  Multi-Family upgrade programs like the California Tax
Credit Allocation Committee (google TCAC) incentive programs deal with
this as well.  Although you may be familiar with these programs, and
these programs may actually be at the root of your question, discussing
this with local consultants and providers, in confidence, might be a
good way to get information. Resources might include frequent utility
rebate partners, CALCERTS, EnergySoft, and consultants such as myself.

I would be willing to discuss this with you if you wish.

--
Robert P Wichert P.Eng. Inc.
LEED AP, HERS II, CEA

On 8/4/2013 10:16 AM, Philip Haves wrote:
> I'm interested in any information on the costs of modeling existing
> buildings, particularly the costs associated with obtaining the
> necessary input data when the existing drawings etc are poor or
> non-existent.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
> --
> Philip Haves
> Leader, Simulation Research Group
> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
> One Cyclotron Road, MS 90R3111
> Berkeley, CA 94720-8134
> (510) 486 6512 (office)
> (510) 486 4089 (fax)
>

> On 8/4/2013 9:17 AM, Ellen Franconi wrote:
>> Can anyone direct me to published values of typical modeling costs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ellen
>> --
>> Ellen Franconi, PhD, LEED AP, BEMP
>> Senior Consultant, Built Environment Team
>>
>> Rocky Mountain Institute
>> 1820 Folsom Street
>> Boulder, CO 80302
>> 303.567.8609 (Desk)
>> 303.245.7213 (Fax)
>>
>> Rocky Mountain Institute drives the efficient and restorative use of
>> resources, creating a world thriving, verdant, and secure, for all,
>> for ever.
>>
>> http://www.rmi.org

Robert P Wichert P.Eng. Inc.
LEED AP, HERS II, CEA