[Bldg-sim] Motor efficiency

Mariana Aristizabal marianaristi at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 09:35:31 PST 2013

I have a question regarding motor efficiency, we are on a project that is looking LEED V2.2 certification. We need to install rolling doors, these doors have two motors each one and motors are 2HP. Our LEED assosor told us that the motor should meet ASHRAE 90.1-2004 efficiency. I think they don´t have to meet because they will be used two or three times per day. The manufacturer (Canadian) told us that motors have 75% efficiency, and according to ASHRAE they need to be 84%.
Do we really need to meet ASHRAE efficiency? is there any way to be exempt? I will say the motors will serve a special purpose and don´t need to meet efficiency.
Can you help me and see if I really need to comply with efficiency?
Thanks