[Bldg-sim] Conservative design cooling load calculations vs baseline sizing

Michael tillou michael.tillou at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 05:19:15 PST 2013

Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to clarify for you that Appendix G (G3.1.2.2.1) requires the simulation of sizing runs for equipment selection based on either the peak from the weather file or ASHRAE 99.6% heating and 1% cooling design temperatures.  As far as I know this is not something USGBC or GBCI has written a clarifying rule on for LEED.

As far as being frustrated over engineers doing overly conservative load calculations, welcome to life as an energy analyst.  The best you can hope for is to use simulation to show them and the building owner that they are over engineering the system and try to get some concession.  Ultimately at the end of the day it's the engineer who is stamping the work and taking on the liability that has the final say.

Mike.

Sent from my iPad