[Bldg-sim] Architecture competition

Max Tillberg max.tillberg at bengtdahlgren.se
Thu Jan 10 00:59:46 PST 2013

I am involved in a project where we will evaluate a number of buildings in
an architecture competition. It is a prestigious project in a rather cold
climate with over 150 invited architects from all over the world. The
project will use BREEAM and the rating level is probably Outstanding. In
this stage we are not interested in evaluating the technical systems but
the building itself (shape, orientation, façade, windows, solar shading,
thermal bridges and room location).

I now wonder if someone has made something similar and if that is the
case, what kind of information you required from the architect and how you
made the evaluation?

I am thinking of asking the architects to present heat loss (through
windows, façade, ground, roof, openings, airflow and thermal bridges), the
cooling need due to solar radiation and positive heat from the sun (during
heating period). We will also ask for daylight autonomy (considering
glare, control systems and human behavior), daylight factor for
representative rooms, view to the outside and PPD-index according to ISO
7730.

We will provide input in form of climate data, inside temperature,
internal loads, schedules, light levels, internal surface reflectance, clo
and met. We will probably not specify how the information should be
determined (calculation method and software) but the method and all
assumptions must be presented so it is possible to evaluate and compare
it.

I am also thinking of requiring other key metrics (average U-value,
Envelope area per Volume and so on) to be able to compare the different
buildings together with a 3D-model of the building.

Any suggestions are welcome, we want this completion to be as fair and
correct as possible and help making an excellent building in all aspects.

Sincerely,

Max Tillberg