[Bldg-sim] SEER and Fan Energy

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Jan 30 06:48:23 PST 2013

This forum has discussed fan energy before, and since that time I have
grappled with the concept of fan power, specifically how to avoid double
counting fan power since even indoor fans are included in SEER ratings.

I suppose that I should start by confirming that indoor supply and
return fans are included in SEER ratings.  I have read the DOE 49 CFR
Pt. 430, Subpt. B, App. M UNIFORM TEST METHOD FOR MEASURING THE ENERGY
CONSUMPTION OF CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONERS AND HEAT PUMPS.  It seems clear
in that method that indoor fans are included in the power and energy
calculations.  If not, please let me know what I am missing.

OK, if indoor supply and return fans are included in the SEER rating,
then why would we put additional fan energy into our calculations?  Does
EQuest, EnergyPro, E+, and all the rest do some math to subtract this
out, and if so, how is that done?

Sorry for the basic question, but I have thought about this a lot and
haven't reached a comfortable solution.  At one point I thought that the
SEER calculation did not account for indoor fans, but I now find that to
be wrong.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

--
Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C