[Bldg-sim] Architecture competition

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Thu Jan 10 07:09:26 PST 2013

Max,
You will need to specify the base HVAC, heating and cooling plants,
efficiency, occupied and unoccupied interior set points and schedules
system so that it is the same for all submissions.  You may also want to
define inputs for economizers, night time pre-cooling, whether natural
ventilation is used, etc.  These again should be the same for all
competitors if the envelope is the only component being considered.
Are you interested in just the most energy efficient envelope that can be
conceived by a architect or a cost effective, practical envelope design for
the local environment (i.e. something that can actually be constructed with
local technologies and skills).  If so, you will need first cost and life
cycle data on the envelope materials, components and assemblies as a factor.
In addition, since shading is an evaluation criteria you will want the
competitors to define very specifically any shading control schemes and how
they were modeled to optimize the use and trade-off between solar heating
and day lighting.
Dennis

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Max Tillberg <max.tillberg at bengtdahlgren.se
> wrote:

> I am involved in a project where we will evaluate a number of buildings in
> an architecture competition. It is a prestigious project in a rather cold
> climate with over 150 invited architects from all over the world. The
> project will use BREEAM and the rating level is probably Outstanding. In
> this stage we are not interested in evaluating the technical systems but
> the building itself (shape, orientation, façade, windows, solar shading,
> thermal bridges and room location).
>
> I now wonder if someone has made something similar and if that is the
> case, what kind of information you required from the architect and how you
> made the evaluation?
>
> I am thinking of asking the architects to present heat loss (through
> windows, façade, ground, roof, openings, airflow and thermal bridges), the
> cooling need due to solar radiation and positive heat from the sun (during
> heating period). We will also ask for daylight autonomy (considering glare,
> control systems and human behavior), daylight factor for representative
> rooms, view to the outside and PPD-index according to ISO 7730.
>
> We will provide input in form of climate data, inside temperature,
> internal loads, schedules, light levels, internal surface reflectance, clo
> and met. We will probably not specify how the information should be
> determined (calculation method and software) but the method and all
> assumptions must be presented so it is possible to evaluate and compare it.
>
> I am also thinking of requiring other key metrics (average U-value,
> Envelope area per Volume and so on) to be able to compare the different
> buildings together with a 3D-model of the building.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome, we want this completion to be as fair and
> correct as possible and help making an excellent building in all aspects.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Max Tillberg

M. Dennis Knight, P.E.
Founder & CEO