[Bldg-sim] Help Review Energy Efficiency Measure List for ASHRAE 1651-RP

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Thu Jan 10 09:33:05 PST 2013

Jason:

I read your message with interest, and started creating new measures, before I realized that you clearly state that this list (and presumably the Title/Purpose/Scope of 1651-RP) is meant to cover measures that apply only to NEW BUILDINGS. In other words - you are not looking for measures that would be appropriate for EXISTING buildings...

Given the sheer amount of existing building square footage in our nation's building stock, and the sheer amount of potential for improvement within the poorer performing actors in this stock, is there any activity that you are aware of where a similar effort as to 1651-RP is being undertaken, yet focused on existing buildings? A few scenarios of the types of measures I am referring to may help describe what I mean..

M1: A 4-pipe VAV AHU with a steam (or hot water) heating coil in series with a cooling coil and where the 2-way modulating coil control valves for either (or both) coils fail to close tightly, either because of actuator/linkage issues and/or valve seat erosion).  Repair/replace damaged control valves/valve assemblies.

M2: A Rooftop VAV AHU where the sequence of operations defines the unit outdoor air dampers to close tightly during unoccupied conditions, but where in reality the dampers fail to close completely due to actuator/linkage issues. Repair/replace damaged damper actuator/linkage.

While these may seem like retro-commissioning issues that we do not need modeling tools to help us understand how to 'fix', it's my belief that incorporating simulation-driven estimates of savings from 'fixing' these measures along with other capital improvement measures into packages of improvements can allow us to create more holistic retrofits in existing buildings that achieve deeper savings while yet providing an attractive overall ROI, and ultimately moving the centroid of energy use intensities in our entire built environment.  I hate to see measures like I describe get 'left behind', and yet want to understand if there is a way I can still contribute.

All the Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM, CMVP, BEMP, BESA, BEAP
Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development of NY, LLC
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com
ph:(607)-327-1647