[Bldg-sim] Binned weather data for US (not the equest weather file)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jan 11 09:13:40 PST 2013

I'm personally a big proponent for modeling location-specific AMY weather whenever there is calibration to historical data to consider, but that certainly doesn't apply to every model or standard.  I don't consider AMY/TMY to be an either-or proposition as much as it makes sense to use either as appropriate to the analysis at-hand.

I have myself used both kinds of weather files with the same model, to different ends.  If you are trying to make long-term ROI decisions, averaged weather data is absolutely preferable to AMY as you don't want to over- or under-account for the weather extremes that occur over any given period in isolation.  If you are calibrating an existing building to past utility bills and measurements, that calibration can be performed with much more certainty using AMY.

As to using 30+ years of averaged data vs. a smaller averaged set of more recent data for TMY, taking any position on the matter seems like "timing the market" on some level to me...  I'm very curious to hear the opinions of the weather scientists and researchers more informed than myself.  I wonder (out loud) whether we should consider the anticipated lifespan of the building and how long the owner will be paying the utility bills in making such a decision on a per-project basis?  Perhaps a school district occupying the same building for many decades is better served making decisions with a more conservative set of averaged weather data (not necessarily "shorter," but with amplified extremes)?

So far as LEED/standards like the 90.1 performance rating method are concerned, I think TMY remains preferable to AMY to avoid "cherry picking" a year which would benefit the demonstrated performance.  I don't think the duration of years involved in the TMY data should at least have some minimum (if that's not spelled out somewhere already), if not an explicitly required number of years, for the same reasons.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER