[Bldg-sim] Internal mass modeling guidance in E+?

Justin Spencer jspencer17 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:30:06 PST 2013

There's also an issue here about whether or not there's any modeling of
internal partitions or fixtures included in your model. My personal
experience in modeling residential models is that they always lag more than
you expect, so I've regularly responded by jacking up the internal mass. I
certainly can fit metered HVAC data a lot better when I add mass beyond
what the BABM suggests. I've guessed that's because my partitions don't
quite match the amount of mass we're interacting with.

I get what Doug is saying that there isn't much temperature change
occurring in his bookshelf, but when you have literally several tons of
exposed mass, even a degree or two of temperature change is quite a bit of
heat. Those granite counters currently in fashion do something for the
building mass.

What's funny about this is that the conventional rule of thumb is that
residential construction is "light" and has little impact from mass, while
commercial buildings are "heavy" and have lots of mass impacts. My personal
experience in studying this is that mass is extremely important in
residential construction because they "float" a lot of the time and also
have higher solar gains than commercial spaces.

One possible area of fruitful research I've thought about is to try and get
some utility direct load control data and look at the "response time" of
residences in terms of how long it took to have the temperature rise a
certain amount when the HVAC system was constrained. You'd at least get
some good data about how responsive the houses are supposed to be and alter
what you can in your models to get them to better match real life (whether
or not you actually figured out the root cause of the problem in the
model).