[Bldg-sim] LEED - What does it take?

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Jan 16 15:28:23 PST 2013

I suppose the modeling software and how it treats energy might have
something to do with it too (Note to CA and TDV), but for starters the
modeling software will look at actual conditions in the particular place
where the project is located.  As an absurd case, if there was no
cooling needed, an infinite SEER would show no improvement.  SEER is for
"typical" and each project is not necessarily typical.  For somewhere
with a high cooling demand, SEER should have a greater effect, but
cooling is only a small part of the energy budget.

I can appreciate that with "10% better walls, 10% better windows (or how
about 10% less windows), 10% lower lighting wattages, 10% more efficient
hot water, all compared to the standard, you could get 10% better using
a SEER 14.3, but I have never gotten that result.  I suppose that I need
to look harder at the other legs on the stool.  For me, I need SEER 17
to get to 10% better in California with a somewhat lopsided stool.  I am
curious what experience others have.

The theoretical answer may be "Make everything else use 10% less energy
than standard and have a SEER 14.3 AC unit, and you're done" but to be
honest, that doesn't ever work for me.

Maybe a better question is; have you ever gotten 10% better than ASHRAE
90.1 with a 15 SEER AC system?  In a real project with real people
fighting over costs, etc.?

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068