[Bldg-sim] Help the Building Simulation Stack Exchange proposal by building up your reputation!

Julien Marrec julien.marrec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 07:37:52 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

As many of you already know, the Proposal for a Stack Exchange site on
Building Performance and Simulation made it to the Commitment phase. Thanks
to all that made it happen.

What is Stack Exchange?

According to Wikipedia, "The Stack Exchange Network (also called
StackExchange) is a group of question-and-answer Web sites on topics in
many different fields, each site covering a specific topic, where
questions, answers, and users are subject to a reputation award process.
The reputation system is designed to allow the sites to be self-moderating"

This would be beneficial to our community for several reasons including
having better usability, search capabilities, and probably more activity
due to the gamification induced by the reputation system.

What is the commitment phase?

Well, this is the second phase of a three step process in which people
'commit' to using the site if it makes it to the next step: the beta phase.

As I am writing this, we already have 121 out of 200 committers. But that's
not the only criteria: 100 committers need to have more than 200 reputation
on any other stack exchange site. This aims to ensure there is a solid
base, a core of avid users. Right now we only have 6 out of 100!

How can you help?

First, Commit here:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/45232/building-performance-simulation-analysis?referrer=RlRcJHs5Cn5GNOQAQVJC6g2

But more importantly, build your reputation, if need be, on another stack
exchange website! There are 104 of them out there, ranging from science to
art to home improvement, gardening, etc. You can see the full list here:
http://stackexchange.com/sites#<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstackexchange%2Ecom%2Fsites%23&urlhash=6eTZ&_t=tracking_disc>.
I am sure one will fit you.

Building your reputation to 200 is really easy. Each vote on a question you
post or an answer you provide bumps you up 10 points. You usually get 3 or
4 votes each time.

I joined Stackoverflow, the programming site, about two weeks ago for that
same exact goal. In 3 or 4 hours of my time, spread over a week, I had
reached the 200 reputation threshold. And along the way I had helped people
that needed it. It's a win-win situation!

I really hope to see this small 6 turn into a big 100 in no time so we can
all start to benefit from a good Q&A website!

Thanks for your help,

Julien
--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA