[Bldg-sim] Recommended reading on comparison of models to actual?

Jeremiah Crossett jcrossett at phasechange.com
Mon Jun 17 19:08:50 PDT 2013

Dear bldg sim,

I am looking for papers that elaborate on the concept of modeling, and how
it correlates to actual utility data to share with people within my company.

The questions keeps popping up, eg..

   1. How does a baseline building compare to an average building?
   2. How does a proposed building typically stack up against the utility
   bills once the building is built?
   3. How accurate an existing building model should be to be considered
   useful, and how accurate is typically possible?
   4. For an experimental setup what would be considered to be close enough
   to be considered a "validated" model?

My understanding is that modeling is to show relationships between average
a baseline of a chosen vintage and that of a proposed design in terms of
relative percentages.  For existing buildings I think that useful is within
20% and typically possible is 10%. Then for a validation model, the most
important factor is similar curves and close totals.

If anyone has any recommended papers, or personal experience it would be
appreciated.

Kind regards

*
*
*Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions*
*
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951
www.phasechange.com
*

*
*