[Bldg-sim] CFD wind modelling using Lawson Criteria

Claire Das Bhaumik ClaireDasBhaumik at hoarelea.com
Thu Mar 14 09:52:46 PDT 2013

I need to carry out a Pedestrian wind comfort (Lawson) Assessment using
ANSYS CFX, I'm reading 'Wind Effects on Buildings' and the Franke et al
paper etc. but it's still not entirely clear to me. If you have any
guidance that would be great, particularly:

*         How many wind directions are required? Lawson and the BRE
DG520 suggest 12 but I have heard of 8 directions being used. There's a
big difference in processor/ post-processing time between the two.

*         How are the results from the CFD usually post-processed to
produce the acceptability criteria throughout the domain? Is it a case
of writing some kind of script for the postprocessor using weighting
functions based on the local wind data? Are there any examples or
guidance on this?

*         Any guidance on suitable turbulence models for CFX?

*         Finally what wind speed is used for the actual modelling, I
assume the 10 year average speed then post processing takes account of
variation in local wind speed, peak gust etc?

Thanks,

Dr Claire Das Bhaumik CEng MCIBSE

Senior Environmental Modeller

HOARE LEA

SUSTAINABILITY

Tel    +44 (0)20 3668 7100

DDI  +44 (0)20 3668 7179

Fax   +44 (0)20 3479 1591

Hoare Lea London has moved!

Please note our new address, Tel and Fax number:

Western Transit Shed, 12-13 Stable Street, London, N1C 4AB

Tel:  020 3668 7100  Fax:  020 3479 1591

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/office-western-transit-shed
<http://www.kingscross.co.uk/office-western-transit-shed>

Visit Hoare Lea's website www.hoarelea.com <http://www.hoarelea.com/>

This email (and any attachment) is intended only for the attention of
the addressee. It is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and may be legally
privileged.

If you have received it in error any disclosure distribution or copying
of all or any part of the contents is prohibited. While virus checked by
Hoare Lea, the recipient remains responsible for the consequences of any
virus received.

If you must print then qrecycle