[Bldg-sim] Off Topic - Building Exhaust Systems

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Thu Mar 7 18:42:33 PST 2013

Robert

I'm not sure what climate you are designing for, but if it is heating-dominated I'd suggest you take a look at designing around devices such as the AmericanAldes CAR (Constant Air Regulator) flow control devices. Devices like these can provide a simple solution to preventing floor-to-floor stack effect issues (whose effects are not negligible in a high-rise located in a heating dominated climate) that exhaust systems will need to compensate for. If sized and installed correctly, they can mitigate odor migration (cooking, etc.) and allow an exhaust fan to actually be TAB/commissioned to the design flow and provide good pressure balance.

Couple that with AEROSEAL or similar technology applied to the exhaust risers, and I think you will have a best-in-class system that will serve the building well (no pun intended).

As far as 'design guides' - I' don't know if any specific pdf docs, etc. IMHO AmercianAldes website has a good document library you might want to check out.  I've had good experiences with my local Aldes rep in providing technical support as well.

All the Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM, CMVP, BESA, BEAP, BEAP
Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development of NY, LLC
124 Brindley Street,Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com