[Bldg-sim] Off Topic - Building Exhaust Systems

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Fri Mar 8 05:56:56 PST 2013

Robert,
I am assuming you are wanting to model them from an energy consumption
standpoint.  I am a fire protection engineer.  High rise building exhaust
systems have to be well coordinated with the building's smoke control
systems and requires close coordination with the adopted building and fire
codes.  That doesn't mean systems can't be designed for energy efficiency,
they just need fail safe controls that put them into very specific
sequences of operation once a smoke control event is triggered.  If
you Google "high rise building exhaust systems" you will get more than
enough current reading material on the subject to weed through.  I'd start
with some of the publications from the national labs and research based
articles.  There seems to be a fair amount of info on variable speed
systems in mid to high rise residential applications and historic
structures.  I do not design or study many systems for high rise buildings
so I do not have a specific reference to steer you toward.
Dennis

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM, RobertWichert <robert at wichert.org> wrote:

> Is anyone willing to suggest a design guide for building exhaust systems,
> particularly high rise building exhaust systems?
>
> I am, of course, looking for some modern guidance with good efficient
> recommendations.
>

> Thanks in advance, I hope!
>

> --
> Robert P Wichert P.Eng. Inc.