[Bldg-sim] Title 24 Performance Approach including renewable Electricity Production

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri Mar 8 12:58:30 PST 2013

Nadir,

Have you actually done simulations to show that your proposed design
fails to meet the Title-24 performance budget?  Title-24 is a minimum
performance standard, so if your basic design without the extra features
cannot meet Title-24, that would tell me there's something suboptimal
about your design.  I don't see anything in the extra features you
mentioned that necessitates nor benefits from a higher base load, so if
you were to modify your design and make it compliant to Title-24, you
may find the features to work even better, and further reduce the need
for PV.

I am not a fan of 100% glazed facades, especially for sunny, mild to hot
climates like in California.  Whenever I see an all-glazed building with
elaborate movable shading, I always wonder why didn't the architect
reduce the amount of glazing?  From the studies I've done, the trade-off
between
daylighting and cooling loads peaks at about 20% WWR, beyond which
cooling energy use increases more than lighting energy savings.

I haven't followed Title-24 too closely these days, but I do remember
the reasons why the Energy Commission eliminated the credit for shading
devices a long time ago - they found they were often not installed, can
break, or were not used.  There must be similar concerns about trees.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D