[Bldg-sim] Should I learn Modelica?

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 05:23:27 PDT 2013

Hi Jacob,

Just my 2 cents;

Disclaimer; I have only had contact with Modelica (some training,
conference, browsing), and much more TRNSYS experience.

If you were a consultant - looking to simulate new and existing buildings
and recommend energy retrofits for example, I would recommend TRNSYS over
Modelica. But because you need to create component models (no escaping
programming sorry), and because you are a researcher, you can definately
consider Modelica.

You're right, it's possible to do this in either TRNSYS or Modelica. The
learning curve for both would be comparable, in their own quirky ways.
Creating new components is also similar effort for both depending on the
component. You will definitely have to learn some programming concepts in
either case. I think however Modelica components have at least the
*potential* to be cleaner and more elegant than TRNSYS code.

TRNSYS has more component models, but you should really define exactly what
models you really need and compare both tools! Also check external
component libraries - TESS, Modelon...

Creating a complex building shape with windows, zones, etc. is probably
much easier in TRNSYS and it's 3D interface, so if you have complex
geometry, +1 point for TRNSYS.

Also important is training and local experts to ask about strange errors, I
should think you are well situated to get support for Modelica!

And then you must also consider the longevity and impact of your research -
Modelica is... fresher?

Cheers,

Marcus
--