[Bldg-sim] Should I learn Modelica?

Michael Wetter mwetter at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 11 15:10:37 PDT 2013

Jacob

I second Marcus' comments and like to add the following:

The page
http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/modelica/userGuide/gettingStarted.htmlhas
some pointers for how to get started with Modelica.
The tutorials on
http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/modelica/releases/latest/help/Buildings_Examples_Tutorial.htmlshow
you what is involved in composing a model using existing component
models. Depending on your application, you may still need to develop some
own component models (typically by modifying existing models). In my view,
since you are a researcher, this is time well spent; Modelica is a language
whose user base is fast growing and the principle of equation-based
modeling is adopted by many system simulation programs.

For modeling building envelops, Modelica has currently limitations for
buildings with many rooms in terms of run-time. You therefore may want to
consider modeling the building envelop in E+, and linking it to Modelica
through the External Interface of E+, either through Functional Mockup
Units or through the Building Controls Virtual Test Bed.

All the best,

Michael