[Bldg-sim] Modelling simplification for structural concrete columns

Hall, Brendan BHall at karpinskieng.com
Wed Mar 13 05:49:05 PDT 2013

To the original post, I would use the line of the wall and ignore the columns. If you feel that there is a considerable shading effect, then use side fins or a building shade. Look at a section of wall the width of one column spacing as calculated the combined U value and thermal mass of the wall to see if the columns will have enough of an effect to make it worth modeling. I don't know how large the columns you are referring to are but it is likely that they would have a negligible effect on the model as a whole, especially when you consider the uncertainty of other values that are input. There is a line in Table G3.1.5 saying that other envelope assemblies that cover less than 5% of the total area need not be explicitly model and can be averaged into other wall assemblies.

As to Jeremiah's post,

  *   ASHRAE 90.1 does not require thermal bridging to be modeled in the baseline.
Thermal bridging should also be taken into account when calculating wall and floor U Values. External un-insulated assemblies must be explicitly modeled.

  *   ASHRAE 90.1 does not require internal mass to be modeled in the baseline.
I don't think any internal constructions are addressed in 90.1. Generally the effect of any internal walls will be negligible compared to the external walls unless your typical wall is heavy weight like a concrete block wall. Some schools are like this. Either way I would say internal mass would not need to be included in the baseline since the baseline is a metal framed building, which implies GWB internal walls.

  *   ASHRAE 90.1 does not require self shading to be modeled in the baseline.
  *   ASHRAE 90.1 requires a light weight wall assembly for the baseline.
The baseline should used a metal framed wall, which still has some mass effects that are required to be modeled. The way I understand it, a "light weight" wall refers to neglecting the mass effects of walls in your calculations.

Brendan Hall