[Bldg-sim] Modelling simplification for structural concrete columns

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu Mar 14 00:35:53 PDT 2013

Patrick,

I frankly think that you're looking at the modeling of building geometry
in simulation programs too literally.  Please keep in mind that in the
end all
the simulation programs are just doing hundreds of one-dimensional heat
flow calculations through thousands of time steps.  Wall thickness is needed
only to compute the heat flow characteristics (U-value, response factor,
transfer function, etc.) but is not modeled explicitly in the
simulation, i.e.,
walls have no thickness in the simulations.  Similarly, the space volume
is used only to determine the amount of air participating in the space
heat balance, so therefore you should always input the actual enclosed
volume, even if it does jive with the dimensions of the enclosing
surfaces.  If you're concerned about the shading effect of the columns,
they can be model them as narrow vertical building shades with widths
equal to the protruding part of the columns, but if the walls are
opaque, the effect must be extremely small.

However, I think you're ignoring  what I think is the most significant
heat transfer aspect of these columns, which is the two-dimensional
conduction through them, because the columns act like stubby fins on the
wall, particularly if they're solid concrete with no insulation.  That's
where I would concentrate my energies if I wanted to get the modeling right.

To do that, you would really have to model the wall-column-wall assembly
with a 2-D conduction program like THERM (available from LBNL), although
that was written for modeling window frames and can only output a
steady-state U-value.  I still have a 2-D conduction program written in
Fortran called WALFERFN (sounds German, doesn't it ? but the acronym
stands for WAll Finite Element Response Factor New :-) ) that I use to
calculate response factors for composite walls, but that can only handle
planar surfaces.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.