[Bldg-sim] Energy needs at an early design stage

Santiago Velez santiagogvelez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:11:01 PDT 2013

For very simple and fast schematic and concetual performance analysis I
recomend Project Vasari, which is free and specially designed for energy
analysis in early stages.

Its simulation engine is DOE 2, and you can export equest and e+ input
files for later more detailed analysis. Another usefull caracteristic is
automated results representation and cloud parametric analysis of 50 design
alternatives every time you simulate, determining the impact on energy of
the different parameters compared the original design.

Hope it helps

Regards, Santiago.

> On 24 Oct 2013 12:13, "Duggin, Cory" <Cory.Duggin at tlc-eng.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Dennis.  Typically the design evolves so much between the
need for conceptual modeling and the more discrete system sizing modeling,
I end up building a new model.  With that in mind, I still think the eQuest
wizards are the easiest and quickest way to run conceptual model options.
Then I move to IES VE for my more detailed modeling.

bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Knight
>> Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:02 AM
>> To: EnergySimulator .
>> Cc: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
>> Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] Energy needs at an early design stage
>>

>> All,
>>
>> This has been a great thread.  My experience has been that the early
stage models for building orientation and envelope optimization are not of
much use, other than the insight gained from the exercise, when you move
from that phase of the project to system sizing and equipment selection
during the design phase, whether your are working with a manual input
workflow into a simulation tool or trying to automate the input through
Sketchup, Revit, Bentley, ArchiCAD, etc.  Load calculations, equipment
sizing, air distribution system device and distribution system design and
selection pretty much demand room-by-room analysis.  Its hard to take
conceptual models, exterior surface area models, massing and "shoe-box"
models and grow them into room-by-room models using the same original input
files.  I'm very interested in what you all have to say about this process
and does any of these tools make the transition from concept to full blown
design any less painfull?

>> Dennis
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM, <Dru.Crawley at bentley.com> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to being able to do EnergyPlus simulation during conceptual
design using AECOsim Energy Simulator , users can also do ASHRAE heating
and cooling load calculations and look at ASHRAE Standards 90.1 and 62.1
prescriptive and whole-building energy compliance (90.1 ECB and PRM (App G).

into this video:  http://youtu.be/ZFuKIISoVhk

10 inputs (mostly from drop-down boxes), draw the outline of the footprint,
select from a dozen preconfigured HVAC system (drag-and-drop components,
all 90.1 required baseline and budget systems), and simulate.  And it uses
EnergyPlus.  Once your conceptual model is ready, you can modify all the
default parameters.

http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Products/AECOsim+Energy+Simulator/

bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Wagemakers, Jens
(2034464)
>> Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:23 AM
>> To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
>> Subject: [Bldg-sim] [Spam:*****] Energy needs at an early design stage
>>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> Does anyone of you know a software program which I can use to calculate
the energy needs of a building (installed power) at an early stage
(design). With the usual programs like EnergyPlus or Trnsys you need to
insert a lot of parameters to get the information, parameters which  just
aren’t allways available in the design stage.
>> The calculations don’t have to be very precise, I’m looking for a tool
which can give an acceptable result, so we can give our customer an idea of
how much power is needed for a certain building.