[Bldg-sim] Saving Energy to Save the Planet

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Sun Sep 29 11:29:17 PDT 2013

Here are a few more thoughts (gathered in haste because I'm traveling, but on my mind for a while)

*         Humans have clearly mis-managed every resource on the planet - occasionally.

*         As Bill notes, global population is leveling.  Almost every Western country is now below its population rate and is experiencing population decline.  China's population growth has been forced by law to decline for years, Europe is in a particularly sad state, the US is buoyed by immigrants' generally higher rate of having children and even historically high growth groups like Muslims are seeing significantly slowed growth.

*         Humans have (through creativity, ingenuity and need) created a host of technologies and processes that would have been considered black magic only 100 years ago - and have been doing this throughout history.  Their pluses outweigh the minuses dramatically over the course of history!

*         Reduce population and you reduce the amazing and consistent impact of human creativity!  (and while we're at it, consider how you are going to remain part of the powerful group that decides who lives and who dies - it seems to be primarily an exercise of the powerful against those who lack it.  The "Haves" against the "Have-nots".  I don't think it's a simple matter!)

*         There is ample evidence that the worries about "overpopulation" are a myth.  The advocates are well-funded myth promoters (and perhaps power-grabbers), but do not have science substantiating them.  See http://overpopulationisamyth.com/overpopulation-the-making-of-a-myth for some teasers on this topic.

*         "Global warming", which in recent years has become "climate change", seems to be in a similarly unsubstantiated position.  It's easy to find many scientific arguments against human-caused climate change (with many credible supporters), and very few IPCC or other climate change advocates who can refute their challenges.  (See http://petitionproject.org/gw_article/Review_Article_HTML.php for a detailed summary.) A short summary of concerns about climate change might be:

o   Is the global temperature changing? (Yes, as it has throughout history)

o   Is the change bad for humans?  (Maybe. Higher temperatures and associated higher CO2 levels promote plant growth - great for food production!  Greenland used to be ... green during a previous warm period!)

o   Are humans causing climate change? (some evidence says "yes", some says "insignificantly", some says "probably not". The historical data shows that global CO2  levels follow global temperature rise .. by hundreds of years.  How could it be that a following effect causes the first?)

o   Do we know how to reduce the rate of change? (I haven't read the Kyoto Protocol, but it's supposed to have predicted a global temperature reduction of a few hundredths of a degree C if every first world nation adopted its measures.  Not too impressive and not consistent with global cooling in the last decade or so despite increasing CO2 production. I wonder what the uncertainty of that model was?? We all know about the accuracy of "models"!)

*         All of that said, I am not a climate scientist.  I am an engineer who looks for facts, trends and logic.  Most of what I see and read in the population and climate change discussions is "Trust me, I have the support of a big government-funded project", or ad hominem (look it up!) rebuttals.  Since when has science been a "consensus"?  It's a good thing Galileo and Newton and Einstein didn't conduct research by consensus! If the facts are really on your side, they'll stand up to scrutiny.  I'd love to hear a reasoned debate by knowledgeable people on both sides of these issues, but one of the sides seems curiously un-inclined to debate....

*         P.s., I am also the father of seven children who has marveled at the amazing diversity of insight and talent among my own family.  The potential of children is proven and holds incredible promise for all the rest of us.  It's impossible to predict what they might do, but history demonstrates clearly that they consistently outperform expectations!