[Bldg-sim] How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

Blake, Jeff Jeff.Blake at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Aug 4 14:35:23 PDT 2014

All corrections and expansions most appreciated and Mike properly pointed out that my mentioning the interior and exterior exchange of radiant energy is somewhat extraneous to the discussion at hand.

One hair-splitting correction to Mike's addition: Glass is not completely opaque to infrared radiation. Of course, IR is a band of wavelengths and the shorter wavelength end of this spectrum makes it through glass (Near-IR). What we're really talking about here is thermal radiation and the ability of glass to absorb/reflect that spectrum of energy. Low emissivity coatings increase the reflectivity of the applied surface to thermal radiation. Smooth uncoated glass has an emissivity of about 0.90 and the e-coatings have an emissivity in the 0.04 range. Low emissivity coatings allow visible light through but reflect specific wavelengths of electromagnetic energy that is radiative "heat".

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J Witte [mailto:mjwitte at gard.com]
Sent: August 4, 2014 09:49
To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

Lots of good information in this thread, but I didn't see any reply that explains why low-e coatings have a direct impact on the overall u-value of the window.  And I saw some incorrect discussion of the radiant heat transfer impact of low-e coatings.  Here's my understanding.

Glass is opaque to infrared radiation (look at the detailed glass layer properties in most simulation software and the infrared transmittance will be zero).

The low-e coating is always on an inner face of the window unit, so it only impacts the radiant exchange between the glass layers (or in the case of some windows, between the glass and an inner plastic film layer).  Low-e coatings do not participate in the interior room radiant exchange or the exterior radiant exchange with the surroundings.  So you don't need to be concerned about any double-counting of radiant effects.

U-value is the overall heat transfer through the entire window unit (with no sun present) divided by the temperature difference.  The rated u-value includes the impact of the inside and outside convection coefficients.  As was said before, the heat transfer through the window includes conduction through the glass and gas layers, but it also includes the radiant heat transfer from pane to pane across the gas layer(s).  For a double-pane window, there's conduction through a pane of glass, then conduction *and radiation* through the gas layer, then conduction through the second pane of glass.  This is why the low-e coating has a direct impact on the u-value, regardless of how interior and exterior radiant exchange is modeled.

This FSEC page has a nice diagram and explanation of window coatings.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/buildings/basics/windows/how/solar_gain.htm

Mike