[Bldg-sim] Diversity factors

Peter Simmonds psimmonds11 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:27:54 PDT 2014

Dear all, here are my comments and suggestions.
I use the following to determine a diversity in a building. From the simulation model the number of occupants based on say one person per 10m2 ( one per 100sf) is 800. Then look at the fire Marshall report for the number of people allowed in the building, also look at the elevator calculations to see on how many occupants the elevators have been calculated to and lastly if there is a cafeteria or canteen see how many people have been used in the calculations?
For simplicity let's say the fire rating is 600 occupants then the simple diversity is 600/800 =75%

Peter Simmonds, Ph.D., ASHRAE Fellow and DL
Mobile US: +1-310-383-9911
Mobile HKG: +852-9845-4902
Mobile UK: +44 7711 926317