[Bldg-sim] Chiller COP

Peter Simmonds psimmonds11 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:19:23 PDT 2014

Pure theory the chiller is a Rankine cycle and there is a formula to derive the cycle from the evaporating and condensing temperature of the chiller then you multiply the Rankine cycle by the efficiency of the motor driving the compressor and get COP.
Jim and Joe are correct that the simulation program does this for you ( in most cases), however if you want to design your own chiller I would suggest the cool tool program that Mark Hydeman derived many years ago which I believe can de downloaded from the Taylor Engineering website.

Peter Simmonds, Ph.D., ASHRAE Fellow and DL
Mobile US: +1-310-383-9911
Mobile HKG: +852-9845-4902
Mobile UK: +44 7711 926317