[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Leed eac1 Plug loads

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Feb 18 07:45:37 PST 2014

General Query:

There is NO 25% default/threshold/minimum for process loads.

Older versions of LEED literature led us to believe there was an expectation/requirement for process loads to be 25%, or else some extra tier of documentation/justification would kick in and be required – I believe there was a specific reference to a detailed breakdown in some fashion.  That has since been debunked and the 25% figure is nearly meaningless in the context of LEED energy modeling, except as (very) loose guidance for what might be expected of a “typical” multistory office building.  In reality, annual process load percentages can vary quite a bit on a case-by-case basis for occupied buildings.

What’s I understand is required of process loads (regardless of annual percentage) is to document the associated inputs, and give the reviewer a brief and clear understanding of where those are sourced from.

For typical projects, I may only provide a few lines in the EAp2 spreadsheet, such as:

-          0.75 W/SF for plug loads, per ASHRAE 90.1 User’s Manual guidance, hourly fractional schedule to represent seasonal usage as per building owner input

-          (2) 9.2kW elevator traction motors, modeled with fractional scheduling per ASHRAE 90.1 User’s manual guidance to represent typical usage for “Office” buildings

-          5 kW garage ventilation fan load, with scheduling to represent full ON operation during all occupied hours.

I would leave it to the reviewer to determine if anything requires further explanation or detail, and would supply full information for any or all of the above items upon request through the preliminary review process.

For projects with kitchens, laboratories, industrial processes, or similar special cases with complex or substantial process loads, I would provide a more detailed report of those loads for preliminary review – perhaps by way of attachment or separate upload, if that’s easier.

Equest Query:

Relative to Equipment inputs, Internal energy source inputs allow for greater flexibility in fuel source types: electricity, gas, hot water, and “process” which represents loads that aren’t associated with your utility meters (e.g. gas-powered forklifts).  Downside is you have to convert electrical loads to Btu/h.

It’s your preference to choose how to utilize either or both space input types – whatever is convenient to you.  I personally always use the Equipment input for plug loads and other electric-sourced space loads, using Internal energy source inputs only as needed.

For either case, if you wish to remove all or some fraction of the associated heat load, you can edit the “sensible heat gain ratio” input down zero (default is 1.00).  Also take note there’s a corresponding option for a fraction of the input load to be encountered in the space as a latent heat load (of particular interest for kitchens).

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers