[Bldg-sim] Claiming refrigerated casework savings for a LEED project

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Jan 22 14:58:52 PST 2014

Jim,

For the lights I would do a quick calculation of the Wattages of equal
illumination lighting.  Whatever the case manufacturer would use in
their BASELINE models.  I'm sure the LEDs are an upgrade, so just base
the savings on the wattages and the hours of operation.  That one should
be easy.

You could basically do the same thing with the COP.  As long as it is
for the entire system, you can use a reasonable load and just multiply
it out.  I'd try that anyway.  You might get shot down, but then you can
always come back with different.

I'm not so sure about the ECM fans.  Where is the savings?  If they are
variable speed, then there are some studies on variable speed fans
versus constant speed fans, but they should be application specific /
load profile specific.  I have seen ECM fan coil fans that save
approximately nothing.

I believe that utilities give rebates and incentives for refrigeration
upgrades like these.  Maybe the local utility does that.  Maybe PG&E
does that.  If so, they may be able to steer you to a paper.

Good luck!

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068