[Bldg-sim] Length of cooling (and heating) season

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Fri Jul 4 09:11:11 PDT 2014

Alan,
Similar to Julien's comment - and as usual, it depends. A judgement can
often be made by looking at the weather data. For degree days it is often
customary to use base 65 Degrees F for residential and base 55 Degrees F
for commercial applications. However, you need to add to your decision
making process questions like - what is the building type, occupancy, does
the building have a lot of internal space, large exterior exposures,
percent glazing, heavy or light internal loads, etc. You can look at load
profiles for similar buildings in similar climate zones . For example, you
could take the documentation for the 16 DOE reference buildings run across
multiple climate zones and get a feel for when the buildings go into either
heating or cooling mode and at what outdoor air temperature(s).
Dennis

M. Dennis Knight, P.E., FASHRAE
Founder & CEO
*W*hole *B*uilding *S*ystems, LLC