[Bldg-sim] *****SPAM***** Re: How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Mon Jul 28 17:05:54 PDT 2014

Randy,

I'd like to dissuade you of the idea that a U-factor that includes long-wave radiation is
some sort of work-around.  In fact, it's the standard definition of U-factor as applied to
windows because of their high conductivity.  Actually, the more I think about it, it would
be the conduction-only U-factor that would be misleading. I suppose it is possible that a
program might use such a U-factor, then also do a external radiative exchange, and thus be
double-counting, but that seems unlikely because to do that you would have to solve for
the external surface temperature, which would require a detailed heat balance, etc.

Sure, standard weather files have all the information needed to account for long-wave
radiation, because during the day, the long-wave radiation from the sun is included in the
reported solar radiation, which is all spectrum, while the long-wave radiation exchange
with the ground, air, and sky are all calculated using assumed temperatures for each and
generally minimal.  During the night, the main long-wave radiation exchange is with the
night sky, for which there are various algorithms to estimate the night sky temperature,
depending on the atmospherics, clouds, etc.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D