[Bldg-sim] How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

Randy Wilkinson randallcwilkinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:31:25 PDT 2014

There is my problem.  For decades I've been trained to understand that
energy exchange thru glass contains 2 components:  1) Conduction -
Calculated using a U-Value with units of Btu per hour per SF per degree
F., and 2) solar - calculated using the sun's energy output, adjusted
for latitude, shading factor for glass, tinting, drapes, etc.

The U-Value is only for conduction...by definition, and is confirmed by
looking at it's units (per degree F).  Now a few molecules of metallic
coatings added to one surface adds to the U-value?  That's the part I
find hard to believe.  Or at least I did until today.

I can accept that an improved U-value can be determined that would make
it easy to calculate the overall equivalent heat transfer, averaged over
a season, including the effect of long wave infrared radiation from the
Low-e coatings.  That would make less sophisticated simulation programs
be able to get better results. I guess I just need to verify that the
improved U-value given is an NFRC value that has been determined using
LBNL's Window software.

Thanks to all for helping me understand.  As others pointed out, E+ can
accept a Window glass definition file and can also allow you to define
glass parameters using layers.  I better figure that out next.

Randy