[Bldg-sim] Input wanted: IES VE vs DesignBuilder

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 01:44:29 PDT 2014

I've not used any of these for over 12 months. However, ...

DB is the easiest to model geometry in.

With IES it's a bit of a faff to get adiabatic surfaces into your model.
You can mess around with turning layers on and off, but this affects your
solar shading calc. In DB you can create adiabatic boundaries, whereas in
ICE anywhere inside a building body that isn't connected to an adjacent
surface is adiabatic (this is very convenient in my mind).

It's difficult to draw comparisons between speed of modelling. Whilst ICE
doesn't have the snap tools that others have, I don't see this as a
problem. Snaps are useful within the geometry paradigm of their respective
programs - the geometry modelling paradigm in ICE is not really dependent
on snaps. That said, it can seem a bit clunky. However, when you get beyond
geometry, I find IDA to be much more 'in one place' than IES, refreshingly
uncluttered and clipboard access to excel a superb feature.

The results viewer tool in IES (Vista) is a very good feature.

In terms of early stage stuff window area can be changed easily in DB and
IES. I don't think ICE has this feature but it would be trivial for the
developers to bring it in (they must already have the algorithms in place
from their ASHRAE 90.1 tool).

I found gbxml import in IES to be sufficiently robust with enough 'healing'
tools to make this a viable workflow. IES actually stores its 3d in a very
similar arrangement to gbxml (3d polylines). It can also import IFC. ICE
can import IFC and this also appears to be robust (Archicad does IFC, I
think).

When you get down to HVAC, it is important to note that ICE is using a HVAC
model even at a very simple level. This is not so in IES. If one wishes to
use HVAC models instead of merely post processing zone simulation results
you need to know what you're doing in ApacheHVAC. It has been a while since
I've used the latter. However, I have found the connection between the IES
model and the HVAC model to be fragile in the past.

In any of the tools, when you get more deeply into HVAC, you need a fair
degree of expert knowledge. For example, in Energyplus (DB's engine) I
found certain 'recipes' didn't work whilst in IDA you are quickly faced
with a data dump indicating some matrix decomposition hasn't worked
(whatever that is!). All the systems have basic templates to work from and
if you don't wander too far from these you shouldn't end up in much trouble.

There will be modelling nuances between the tools: Computational ones, such
as treatment of horizontal holes, or more functional ones, and even bugs
that a user must be mindful of. I'm not going to go into this here however.

I hope this has been helpful.

Chris