[Bldg-sim] Chilled beam Vs conventional VAV systems

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Tue Jun 10 14:27:38 PDT 2014

Sanket,

Your energy savings is based on a lot of factors.

·         You might see significant reheat reduction if you’re moving less total air.

·         You’ll see a fan power savings by moving less air, but be cautious on pressure drop due to reduced AHU size and duct size, which can eat into the fan power savings. A VAV system sized for 450 fpm in the AHU operating most hours between 250-350 fpm may use less energy than a CAV system serving chilled beams where the velocity is 450 fpm all the time even if half as much air is being distributed.

·         There shouldn’t be much cooling savings. A little associated with reduced fan heat due to reduced air flow.

·         If you have a separate chiller that is providing warmer chilled water to the beams you should see some saving there too versus a central chiller that is generating 44F and then blending the water to 58F for the beams.

Here’s a link to the 2012 SimBuild conference paper “Issues Arising from the Use of Chilled Beams in Energy Models”.
http://www.ibpsa.us/simbuild2012/technical_sessions.shtml

Good luck,

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP ®BD&C
Senior Sustainable
Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>