[Bldg-sim] Chilled beam Vs conventional VAV systems

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 01:29:01 PDT 2014

A low energy radiant slab system is one of the strategies in Nrel's 'Strategies
for 50% energy savings in large offices'
<http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy10osti/49213.pdf>. Worth a skim through!

Radiant systems such as chilled beams affect Operative temperature more
directly than VAV. The standard unmet hours test is therefore a little
unfair to these kinds of system. Perhaps it is worth the hassle
demonstrating that a comparable level of comfort is achieved during
occupied hours.

Apart from the conditioning of outdoor air latent heat removal is limited
because chilled water temperatures are higher. DOAS tends to deliver air at
a higher temperature as well - typically 15 - 16degC. This is also a
limiting factor in terms of the kind of load that CBs can deal with.

Designers are loath to specify CBs. Reasons include loss of flexibility for
subsequent fit outs, limited loads and limited contractor experience.

Hope this helps

Chris