[Bldg-sim] LEED Increased Ventilation Credit and Energy Modeling

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Thu Mar 6 16:58:36 PST 2014

The GBCI approach seems to be aimed at keeping people from gaming the system, more than suggesting designers stick to the 62.1 minimum. Don't add a bunch of extra OA to get the LEED credit, and then claim energy credit from DCV...

One point to contrast to this is that sometimes local codes, guidelines, or even client design standards might have rates higher than ASHRAE 62.1. In this case 90.1 can't contradict the designer's responsibility, and the baseline should have the identical outside air requirement, even if it is higher than ASHRAE 62.1.

62.1 is still a standard that sets the minimum ventilation rates.

As several others have noted there are specific conditions if DCV is used as a strategy to reduce outside air that might override the baseline OA quantity in some of those cases. It would also make sense to me that the baseline could be required to have an identical DCV system in that case and keep the rates the same, but I've never seen that as an official recommendation.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates