[Bldg-sim] question regarding lighting efficiency/gains units of measurement

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed May 28 06:51:37 PDT 2014

I’ll take a stab:

First, watts per square foot is the typical unit of measure for installed lighting power in the states.  Installed lighting power is what comes up most often in discussions of lighting system efficiencies/gains (in my experience).

Luminous efficacy (Lumens per Watt ) pops up when comparing sources (i.e. LED vs. Fluorescent).  When comparing lighting fixtures as a delivery method, “delivered” lumens per watt is the preferred metric, which additionally takes into account the efficiency of the fixture/housing involved.

Tying these all together:  Watts = 0.09290304 x lux x (square feet) / (lumens per watt)

(yep, I had to google that)

Ignoring the constants for a moment, W / (m2*lx) looks something like the inverse of what I’m used to calling luminous efficacy, so where you might describe a lowering of W / (m2 * lx), that would equate to a gain in luminous efficacy (lm/W).

Is that messy enough?

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER