[Bldg-sim] LEED Energy Model - 90.1-2004 Appendix G and Local Code

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Mon Nov 3 18:01:19 PST 2014

Sometimes the developer/owner might have an “in-house code” for the tenants to build-out as well…this also might be enforced similarly to the AHJ’s, especially if the rental market is lean in that area...but should also be acceptable to USGBC.

Either way, I think the intention is there.

I can see it both ways.

1.       It’s an imperfect system to certify today based on a future action…base the certification only on the scope that is presented.

2.       By allowing such a requirement, the team can be incentivized, and more tenants will build efficiently if these requirements become incorporated to the project than if they aren’t part of the project requirements. (Even if some slip through.)

I would make one exception – sometimes the developer is related to one or more of the major occupants, or the major occupant is known in advance. In that case, the “tenant” should be able to hold to any known requirements…it’s not a lease taking place in the future, things are lined up already.

Think several “named” towers that are custom-built. I don’t know that USGBC necessarily makes a distinction in this case, but it seems more solid that requirements will be passed through, as the LEED certification is probably at the tenant’s request.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates