[Bldg-sim] *****SPAM***** Re: simulation program for green roof

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri Sep 26 11:24:50 PDT 2014

Thanks for providing this link to the paper, which I've read with interest.  However, I'm
puzzled because  my primary concern with respect to modeling green roofs is whether and
how evapotranspiration has been handled and, unless I missed it in my quick read, I don't
see that mentioned in the paper.

In brief, evapotranspiration is the process by which vegetation sheds excessive heat gain
through transpiration, a process akin to sweating in animals for the same reason.  When I
had worked with the Urban Heat Island Group at LBNL (before the group got formalized), my
main interest was the effect of vegetation on counteracting the urban heat island, and
very quickly I got enmeshed with evapotranspiration models both at the individual tree
level (too detailed) or at the macro urban level (which I ended up applying in this 1987
paper
(http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0450%281987%29026%3C1103%3ATPOVIR%3E2.0.CO%3B2
).

In another project that I was then doing on modeling foundation heat flows, I worked with
another researcher at the Univ. of Minnesota who had a foundation model including the heat
balance of the surrounding soil, who told me that he could get any ground surface
temperature he wanted simply by playing around with the evapotranspiration rate  (which is
really just the conversion of incoming solar radiation to latent heat).

Since a green roof is basically a shallow slice of ground with vegetation, wouldn't it
make sense to add evapotranspiration to the model (if it doesn't handle it already) before
looking for other explanations why measured and modeled results differ?  In my view,
attributing these differences to the urban heat island effect is unsatisfying for these
reasons: (1) it doesn't explain the cause and effect (although i would suspect that it's
precisely the latent cooling of evapotranspiration), (2) it confounds a building-level
strategy with a neighborhood-level phenomenon, i.e., you can be in an urban heat island
(or oasis) without a green roof, as well as having a green roof somewhere with no urban
heat island, (3) I am skeptical that a single green roof would have an appreciable effect
on reducing the air temperature above the roof, unless the air is completely still (see
http://heatisland.lbl.gov/publications/effects-roof-reflectance-air-temperat ).

Joe

White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A