[Bldg-sim] Modeling Boiler Efficiency - Ec vs Et

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Tue Feb 10 15:17:01 PST 2015

Hi Christopher,

We had a relatively thorough discussion on this issue over on the
[eQuest-users] mailing list in the spring and fall of last year.  See
attached emails.  (I’ve had a few reports of my attachments not getting
through lately – let me know off-list if you have the same problem and I’ll
copy-paste the text).

Note the same problem of how to arrive at thermal efficiency (rather than
combustion less flue/jacket losses) exists in 90.1-2007.  At one point, I
laid out a series of logical approaches to the matter in order of
increasing difficulty & increasing performance in one of those threads.
“Easiest” approach would be to do as you suggest and treat Ec = Et (and in
turn to treat the Proposed in a similar fashion, deliberately EXCLUDING
flue/jacket losses in the simulation).

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*