[Bldg-sim] Relief Fan in Baseline Fan Power

Vicki Lynne vickil at ncat.org
Sun Jul 12 10:14:34 PDT 2015

Hello - I have a question about relief fans in a LEED baseline eQuest model.
I'm using the baseline fan power spreadsheet to calculate kW/cfm.  If a
system has both a supply and a return fan then the accepted method splits
the supply fan power between the two fans.  However, if the system has a
supply fan and a relief fan that, in theory anyway, comes on only during
economizer cooling, I don't think that splitting up the supply fan power
between the supply and relief fans makes sense.  The relief fan will only
run part of the year, especially in climate zone 6b.  So it won't be a good
representation of the fan energy and ends penalizing the proposed model
energy savings.  Does anyone have any experience with this in regards to
what the LEED reviewers might accept?

Thanks!

v.

Vicki Lynne, PE

National Center for Appropriate Technology

PO Box 3838

Butte, MT 59728

Home office  406.492.8166

vickil at ncat.org