[Bldg-sim] Energy efficieny: VRF + DOAS vs VRF + unconditioned Ventilation system

Andrew Corney andrew.corney at sefaira.com
Tue Jul 21 08:32:01 PDT 2015

Hmm. Not sure but it seems likely that a wet coil could affect the
efficiency performance of the VRF FCU.

>From an energy perspective heat recovery centrally could be made to be very
efficient. If you bring air in from outside and let the VRF system see it
then you might not get those benefits and the ventilation load might be a
lot higher. This could be offset for heating with a zone by zone MVHR
system.

That said you could potentially have latent heat recovery at a central AHU
where it would be very hard in an MVHR ventilation unit. In more extreme
climates this could make a substantial difference. For example this could
help rehumidify the air in very cold places or dehumidify the air in hot
humid climates. The heat recovery would then be a direct saving against the
coil load (although it would increase pressure drop in the DOAS system!).