[Bldg-sim] 'arithmetical' heat loss versus dynamic simulation

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:32:35 PDT 2015

I am trying to form a rationale for a relatively quick and dirty assessment
of some BMS signals and excel appears to be the best tool for this.
However, my usage is limited to fairly crude funcitons.

I have heard that calculations using the form Q = [ΣUA + ΣNV/3].ΔT for
correlate closely with more sophisticated simulation methods, when
restricted to heat loss. In my mind this makes sense: in heat loss the flow
of heat is uni-directional. This is in contrast to cooling where there is
usually some form of 'capacitance' necessitating something a bit more
'numerical'. There are other limitations, but these may be
expedient. Does anybody have experience of, or is aware of, any of the
following:

   - Relevant papers or reports
   - Usage of such an equation for anything other than a simple heat loss
   at a fixed design temperature (e.g. binned or time step based calculation)

Kind regards

Chris