[Bldg-sim] Modelling groundwater cooling via concrete slab

Claire Das Bhaumik claire at inklingllp.com
Wed Jun 10 07:02:23 PDT 2015

I'm looking for the most suitable approach for modelling groundwater
cooling in a thermal model. It's proposed to have pipes embedded in a
concrete ceiling with groundwater flowing through them. The groundwater
supply temp will be fixed at around 12degC.

I'm using IES software but I expect the possible approaches would be
similar with most packages.

I could either use a simplified approach calculating the cooling capacity
from the flow rate and temperature difference, or use a detailed systems
modelling approach. I want something fairly quick but reasonably accurate
(don't we all?!) as it's a preliminary study.

Thanks,

*Dr Claire Das Bhaumik CEng FCIBSE*

*Partner - Inkling LLP*

 e: claire at inklingllp.com