[Bldg-sim] Modelling groundwater cooling via concrete slab

Andy Tindale Andy.Tindale at designbuilder.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 01:31:49 PDT 2015

Claire,

It sounds like you are using IES but you mention "other packages" as well so I thought I'd outline the ways that ground water cooling through hydronic slabs can be modelled in DesignBuilder EnergyPlus.

1. In DesignBuilder v4.5 there is an HVAC template which allows you to directly model this system with water from a ground borehole flowing through a HX component which cools water flowing through a second circuit into ceiling surfaces. You get the cooling injected into exactly the right part of the surface and slab thermal mass is included. You just have to load the template and set the position of the pipes in your ceiling slab construction. You can select a template with the number of boreholes or use water from a lake. For later more detailed design work you can refine the ground loop design using a third party tool such as GLD or GLHEPRO.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D0A9A9.9A0E73F0]

Other simpler options include:

2. As suggested by others you can use a dummy chiller setting a fuel code to ignore the fuel consumption.

3. Use district cooling.

Options 2 and 3 would allow you to set a fixed 12degC for supply temperature. Option 1 would calculate the correct supply temperature based on the capacity of the ground water supply.

I hope it helps.

Andy

Andy Tindale
Managing Director I Tel: +44 (0)1453 755500 I andy.tindale at designbuilder.co.uk<mailto:andy.tindale at designbuilder.co.uk>

DesignBuilder Software Ltd, 1st Floor, Clarendon Court, 54-56 London Rd, Stroud, GL5 2AD
www.designbuilder.co.uk<http://www.designbuilder.co.uk/>